Current Happenings

Thursday, August 28, 2008

August 28, 2008

I'm happy to be down a little bit today. I have 12.5 lbs. to go before I reach my first big goal. I think that right now, I'm gunning for that 2.5 lbs that are hanging on there. I'm going to work hard to knock those off, so I only have 10 left. Hopefully I'll be able to burn off a few calories by dancing around at my dad's wedding reception. It may be the only real exercise that I get for this week. Things have been so very busy. I wanted to exercise last night, but we went to church instead.

With the lack of exercise these past few days, I am even more thankful to have my digital scale. It makes life so much easier. I weigh nearly all of my food, just so I can make sure that I am eating proper portions, and to train my eyes to recognize what a portion looks like. I am very diligent when it comes to snack foods, like my animal crackers, or even the knock-off doritos that I had yesterday. Sure, I really wanted some chips with lunch, but I don't want to wear them on my hips because I accidentally ate too many of them. There is nothing that is "not allowed" in my diet. Instead, I just handle the snack foods very carefully.

One of the biggest helps that I've had with losing the extra weight has been modifying foods. For instance, when our budget is real tight, we typically eat more packaged dinners like Hamburger Helper. Even when we eat that now, I find ways to make it friendlier for our bodies. There is no getting past the fact that it is processed, but it doesn't have to be hugely fattening either. So, I dramatically cut back the amount of milk that is called for, and replace it with water. I skip the butter. I may add some extra seasonings though, to kick up the flavor. I almost never use beef with the noodles these days. Instead, I use ground turkey or even chunks of chicken that I've picked from the bones of a previous meal. All in all, my family doesn't seem to mind the differences. The "Helper" is only a modest portion of our meal, so it's not a big deal. They get something with creamy noodle and meat, and that makes them happier to eat the many vegetables that I serve also. Goodness, Pumpkin actually asked for a brussel sprout at dinner the other night! (...and she ate it!)

Ugh, I am feeling so miserable today. It's just one of those days that I pout about being a woman, and want nothing more than to curl up on the couch with some hot chocolate and do nothing, all day. I'm feeling cheerful about the loss of weight though, so that makes it a less dreary day, at least on the inside. It is cloudy and grey out today. I think that it kind of matches my mood of late, as I get more anxious with the date of my dad's wedding coming up. I won't pout and whine about it. That would accomplish nothing. I'm not comfortable, nor happy about it though. I'm still trying to figure out where to put my eyes during the whole affair, because the sight of them hanging on each other (and more) just turns my stomach. But, I'm a grown-up, and I get to act like one. I guess that I should be happy that I'm not stress-eating.

It just occurred to me yesterday that I haven't measured myself in a while. I'm not sure that it would do me any good to try and take measurements at the moment, being the time of month that it is. However, I think that I will go ahead and do that when I'm feeling better next week. I'm curious to see where I may have lost some inches.

0 comments: