Current Happenings

Wednesday, November 19, 2008

For Love of Oatmeal

Oh, my oatmeal is so comforting this morning. It is just one of those cold days, and the chill made it hard to even climb out from under the covers. So, a bowl of hot oatmeal feel like bliss. It has raisins, dates, and little bits of walnut- oh so yummy.

Yesterday, DH surprised me by saying that he wanted us to go to the bank with him, and that we could stop somewhere to get some dinner. The only problem for me is that I didn't know where, so I didn't look online first to see what I wanted to eat. We ended up at Burger King, and I was a little lost. Now, after having looked at things online, I know that I should have gotten a Whopper Jr. . At the time though, the little spicy chicken sandwich sounded good. However, it didn't taste as good as it sounded, and messed up my counts on everything. It's not that it put my calories over, because I generally eat less than what it takes my body to maintain my weight. What bugged me was how high the fat and sodium were. But, that is all done and over with, and I am intent on not regretting the choice. Hey, I had a nice time with my family. I sat close to my husband, and we talked and played around like teenagers. We had fun playing word association games with Pumpkin, while sharing a small order of fries. The experience was nice, even if I am feeling a little puffy from the salt. The scale is up by 1/2 lb. also, which didn't surprise me at all. That always happens when I eat even a small amount of fast food, not to mention that I was riding my exercise bike pretty late last night.

This morning, I started my "recovery" with a large blue cup of water. It holds 3 cups of wonderful H2O. I try to always drink one of those cups of water before I eat anything for the day. Generally, I get in 9 cups of water and 2 cups of coffee. That should be plenty of fluids, and I'm sure that I'll feel better tomorrow. I can certainly tell the difference between better quality foods and "junk" foods these days. My body reacts in predictable ways with each type of food, and even my taste buds seem to be changing.

DH was eating sour cream and onion potato chips the other day, and I was a little curious about them. I haven't had any in quite a while. So, I took one chip and ate it slowly. The initial enjoyment that came from the flavoring was gone in less than a second, and then I was just left with a rather lackluster potato mush that did nothing for me. It was nothing like the pleasurable mouth-feel of chewing something like oatmeal with fruit and nuts. There was no rich taste, no varying textures. It was just 'alright'. Who wants to waste their time and calories on 'alright'? That was the only chip that I had, and the rest of the bag has been perfectly safe from me.

Anyway, I have a pretty quiet meal plan for today. I'm not going to post a solid plan here today, just because I may end up modifying it through the day, to suit my needs. I want to try roasting some eggplant this evening, but I don't know if I'm actually going to end up eating it. I haven't had eggplant in a very long time, and I didn't know anything about cooking it the first time that I tried. So, we will see how that goes.

0 comments: