Current Happenings

Friday, November 7, 2008

Meal Plan (Nov. 7) + Stuff

Even though I was feeling a little unmotivated, I dragged myself out of the house and over to the gym. I felt better once I got there. I just get so comfortable at home, snuggled up on the couch after dinner. The main reason that I don't like to leave is that I want to spend time with DH, because he is at work all day. So, I've changed the way that I look at my gym time.

I know that some folks look at their exercise time as an opportunity to lose weight. I don't look at it like that any more. If I were to walk on the treadmill for that reason, I would be there forever. I can easily eat 400 calories in a few minutes, but it takes much more time to work it off. Instead, I let my eating take care of the weight loss, and look at my gym time as physical therapy. I am shaping and molding my body, making myself strong enough to do life's tasks without difficulty. There is just the added benefit that the exercise makes my body look better, but that is just frosting on the cake.

So, since I don't look at my gym time as a means of burning off extra calories, I only stay there as long as it takes to meet my fitness goals. My goal last night was to try and improve my mile time. I was able to beat my previous time by 46 seconds, which is not bad with running it within the same week. This gives me a good starting point to work from. Now, I will begin to do walk/jog intervals on the treadmill to gently improve my stamina. I would like to start the new year with somewhere near a 10 minute mile. I'm not sure if that is within my grasp, but I'll be happy with every second that I get closer to it.

Anyway, as I wrote yesterday, I didn't anticipate the scale moving for me today. I know my body pretty well by now. When I exercise hard, particularly at night, my body holds on to water. I ran pretty hard on the treadmill, and then did lower body weights. I could barely walk up the basement stairs last night! So, I wasn't surprised to see the same number on the scale. Tomorrow will be a better day for that. It is my plan to ride my recumbent bike for 30 minutes on Saturday and Sunday, but not visit the gym again until Tuesday. I want to do just enough to stay loose, so I don't get too muscle sore and bound up after lifting weights. My knees are finicky about pushing weight, so I have to baby them. Let me just say that my legs are looking just a mite sexy these days, at least compared to how they did look before. It's a small happiness. :)

Here is my food plan for today. It is very similar to yesterday's plan, but for a couple small changes. With eating so much *real* food, I'm finding that I don't feel the need to pursue junk food. My one little 'no sugar added' fudgesicle is enough. I added the other sugar-free candy because I needed a couple calories, and something to occupy my mouth between breakfast and lunch. I space my meals out so that I start a meal every 4 hours. I don't eat everything on my list at once, but break it up so that lunch and dinner are more like four meals instead of two. The only hard set-in-stone rule that I have is that I eat every 4 hours, so I don't go too long between meals.

Oh, and let me say that I adore turkey hotdogs. Come on- 70 calories apiece. It helps me feel more normal. Yay for the turkey hotdogs. :)

0 comments: