Current Happenings

Friday, November 28, 2008

Thanksgiving Recovery

My Thanksgiving was a good one, and while I did overindulge a little bit, I didn't pack away the food like I probably could have. Instead, I dedicated myself toward helping our hostess cook and lay out the dinner.

Once dinner was ready, I made plates for Pumpkin and myself. I tried to make my plate look more like hers than my husband's plate. *laughs* I ate a small portion of turkey breast, which I lightly covered with mashed potatoes and a tiny bit of gravy. I had a wee bit of stuffing, sweet potato casserole, and corn. Oh, and I did have roll. Dinner wasn't my downfall. However, I did eat two slices of pumpkin pie last night, one at dessert, and one later in the evening. I just started to get munchies around 10 p.m. or so. We were there for a long time.

When I came home, I knew that I had overdone it, so I started drinking my water. When my tummy is upset, it helps me to drink water, and maybe even a weak cup of coffee. Something about the coffee helps. I also put on "The Biggest Loser", and I rode my exercise bike for - check it out- 1 h. 20 minutes. The bike said that I logged 600 calories burned, but what felt good to me was that I felt lighter. I think that the added energy expenditure was helping alleviate some of my "heavy belly" feeling. I still felt bloated, but I kept drinking my water... and swallowed some Motrin.

I stepped on the scale this morning, and I was 3 lbs. lighter than I had been that evening. I am logging in at 209 lbs. right now, which is 2.5 lbs. heavier than my Tuesday weigh-in. I'm sure that a little bit of it is water weight, but some of it is bound to be fat too.


I've been more careful with my eating today. I haven't had a lot to eat, but that is just because I've been a little busy today. I am solidly resolved to not "punish" myself for eating what I wanted yesterday. Instead, I am looking forward to eating good, healthy foods for the next month. I am excited to see where I can be before Christmas. I know that I will probably have another couple of funky eating days at the end of the year, but I am fine with that so long as it is only a couple. I can have whatever I desire on Christmas Day and on New Year's eve. Then I can get back to business with my better eating for all of the other wonderful days that I have. I am learning that having a "feast" day is not such a big deal, so long as it is just one day and not any longer than that.

The longer that I eat a healthier diet, the more naturally it is coming to me. Even while surrounded by good food yesterday, I really didn't indulge all that much, not compared with how I used to eat. I didn't finish my dinner plate, and my snacks were somewhat moderate (for a holiday). I had the pie, a serving of potato chips, and some sugar-free jell-o. It was a lot of food, but I'm not used to eating much at one time any more. By the time that I was halfway through my dinner, I was already feeling like I had eating a little too much. My big problem with food is that I eat with my eyes, and that if there is food sitting out in front of me, I would like to at least try a bite. That's a very good way to put on weight, and we all know how much food there is at Thanksgiving. Wow.

Thankfully, every day is not known as a day of overindulgence and feasting. Today, things are back to normal.

0 comments: