Current Happenings

Sunday, December 21, 2008

Ah, The Week of Christmas!

I've abstained from cookies, and I've been eating a very reasonable diet. Yay for me! My vegetables have been a little more bland in color, but that is winter around here. Since I don't have a lot of money, I have to buy whatever is in season, and nothing is really 'in season' when it's snowing. *laughs* So, I'm eating more cold weather vegetables while trying to moderate my intake of starchy vegetables. I've been indulging in more potatoes, but I'm very careful to weigh my portions. My Irish blood just loves a good potato. Since it's not good for this gal to live on potatoes alone, I am generally eating green beans, cauliflower, yellow squash, and cabbage. I have some peas or beets from time to time, but not often. Maybe I should try harder to find red and orange foods. I don't know.

It's the beginning of a new week, and I'm feeling pretty darned good. I'm wearing new jeans, and yet I can pull them right off without unbuttoning them. Hopefully that means that they will wash well, since they are brand new. The first 3 washes or so are very important, I've noticed. Anyway, it's wonderful to have more jeans, especially ones that fit nicely. I'm really liking the new sizing at Lane Bryant, though I won't be able to take advantage of it for too long. I wear a red size 2, and that doesn't leave me much room to shed weight before I'm out of their product line. Supposedly they have a size "0", but I didn't see any in the store.

Having nice, new clothes is going to help me out a lot this week. Who wants to overindulge in Christmas cookies and the like while wearing smaller clothing? I'm all for NOT forcing myself out of my new jeans, just to have some pie or cookies. I like my pants better than the food, at least today. *chuckles* Maybe I'll feel differently on Christmas day. That, however, is just one day on the calendar. So long as I don't turn into a raving lunatic on Christmas, I shouldn't have any problem wearing my pants the next day. Thankfully, my decreased food intake keeps the lunacy away by making me feel sick if I eat more than a small serving of anything.

I only have a few more days left until everyone's attention turns from food to working off all of the food that they've eaten! *laughs* It's funny to feel happy about that, but I am. I like feeling as though the people around me are on the same page as myself. Life is easier when I have company in eating healthy and getting more exercise. It tends to be lonely when I feel like I'm the only gal around who has to be so careful and serious about what she eats. But, my better habits have earned me lots of nice things, like smaller jeans, tops that don't have an "x" in the size, and my size 6 wedding band. The only bad thing about having company in losing weight is that I have too much company at the gym. *wink*

I am a selfish gym-goer. I know this about myself. I don't like to wait on machines because it gives my heartrate a chance to slow, and for my muscles to get cold. There were times at the girly-gym that I'd had to wait 20 minutes for a bike or treadmill. That is the reason why I've enjoyed the manly-gym so much more. While they don't have a pool, hot tub, or sauna room- they do have a bank of treadmills and bikes that is sufficient. I've only had to wait more than 10 minutes for a treamill a couple of times, and so I used the bikes instead. There is always *something* available. I've never had to wait on weights at all, and that makes me happy. I'm not sure what it's going to look like through January and February though. I may have to buck the trend and exercise at home for the first months of the year, just so I don't become frustrated. It will be easier at home though! I got my husband a really cool Christmas present, and I'll tell you about it in a few days. We can both use it, and it will increase the buffness of my bod.

In the meantime, I guess I am using snow removal for exercise. My Papa was fussing at me on the phone last night. I could hear his finger wagging through the phone as he scolded me and told me that I'm not too young for a heart attack. I'm not sure that anyone is too young for a heart attack, not really. But, I did reassure him that I am careful and haven't been pushing myself too hard. I exercise regularly enough to know how I am feeling, and when I need to rest. I don't push myself too hard with the snow, primarily because I don't want to hurt my back. This snow is heavy right now. Since moving the snow is such heavy work, I've noticed that the scale has stopped moving in accordance with how much my muscles have been moving. This always happens.

I watch "The Biggest Loser", and I wonder how those people do it. They are exercising hard every day and lifting weights like mad, and the scale still moves. For me, the scale refuses to budge until I've given my body a chance to stop and recover for a couple of days. I'll get a good 'whoosh' of weight loss, but it won't come until I stop driving myself so hard. I two solid days of rest and lots of water, and then I start seeing the results of my hard work. I guess that tomorrow and Tuesday will have to be my days of relative rest, because I've got to go shovel more snow today. I'm glad that we didn't get as much as we had a couple days ago, because my arms and shoulders are tired. DH wanted me to use the pole-sander yesterday, to work on the drywall, and I could only do it a little bit. I had to leave the ceiling for him, and I lasted about 5 minutes on the wall before my hands were shaking too badly to continue. I'm feeling better today, but I know that my strength hasn't fully returned. I'm probably hanging around 60% of my normal strength.

*sigh* All I want are 3 lbs. gone. Three pounds. Maybe if I push myself real hard this week, I can make that happen. I just don't know though. My body isn't that predictable. That also might put my focus off. I don't want to be so focused on the number on the scale. Man, this is a big goal for me though, and I want it pretty bad. I guess the important thing though is that I remember that this isn't so much the end of a year as it is just another month in my life. Just so long as I keep doing what I'm doing, I'm going to get where I want to be, and the date shouldn't matter so much.

0 comments: