Current Happenings

Thursday, January 29, 2009

2 a.m. Peanut Butter & The Sleepy Monster

I am seriously re-evaluating how much I eat after last night's trip to the gym. I was running late because DH "forgot" to put gas in the car, which really means that he doesn't care if the needle is on "E" as long as he gets home. He's a funny guy, who left me driving in the wrong direction to get gas last night, and that put my whole time schedule off. (We only go to one gas station, because they don't charge us extra to use our debit card. Plus, their prices are the best.)

Since I got there late, the place was pretty empty. Oh how I love empty. Empty is beautiful. I started on the upright bike, and I huffed it out for 30 minutes. I didn't quite get to 8 miles today, but I was more fatigued than I had been the other day. Plus, I didn't want to push it until I felt nauseated. So, after 30 minutes, I hit the weights and pushed around some plates until I felt like my arms and legs wanted to fall off. I finished up with another 30 minutes on the bike, only it was the recumbent bike this time. Each bike works a different area, I've noticed. With the upright, I am working the tops of my thighs more, particularly up near the hip. The recumbent bike, however, seems to put more of the work into the the lower half of my thigh and in through my butt. I know that that is far from technical, but that is where I feel it when I pedal.

I had every intention of running through another circuit of weights and then hitting the treadmill, but I ran out of time. Not only that, but as I was nearing the end of my second bout with the bike... I started to become aware of hunger. Does that sound strange to you? Do you ever feel hungry while you are exercising? At that point, I gave it up and went to get dressed and head home.

Once I was home, I cooked up my eggs and toast. I also had that yogurt with walnuts. DH, being the lovie that he is, decided that we needed to do our taxes late last night. So, we sat up until midnight doing that. Then, I took a while wrapping up online things and getting ready for bed. It was around 2:00 a.m. when I began feeling so overcome with hunger that I couldn't stand it. I felt like my belly button was rubbing a hole in my spine, and I was never going to get to sleep like that. So, I grabbed a tablespoon and scooped out that much peanut butter, and I took it to bed with me. I laid there in bed, slowly eating that peanut butter and trying to quiet my mind so I could sleep. I came to a decision.

I'm not buying Peter Pan peanut butter anymore. *laughs* That reduced fat peanut butter was gritty and had an awful mouth-feel. Yuck. My poor daughter never said a word while Mama subjected her to inferior peanut butter, just because it was on sale.

Since I have no intention of dialing back my workouts on a whole, I am going to do some more research to find out what is a better "fuel level" for my body while I'm exercising at this level. If I don't get somewhere with learning what my body wants, I'm liable to be a walking sleepy monster all of the time. I'm so thankful that we don't HAVE to have a set school time at home, because Pumpkin was able to watch a cartoon show while I slept in. I feel more human now, but I can't be working so hard and then staying up real late. I had asked DH to get me up when he gets up for work each morning, and that is between 5:30 am-6:00 a.m. every day. This morning, I just lifted my head up long enough to tell him that I couldn't get up today. *laughs*

The scale was down a pound this morning, but I don't know that it's fat loss. It could just bee that I was particularly dehydrated from my man bathroom visits while awake during the wee hours of morning. I don't know. I really don't care either. It was nice to see the number.

4 comments:

The Incredible Shrinking Family said...

Down numbers always feel good , no matter what the reason. With the hunger dilemma, I definitely feel that when I do my workouts before breakfast. I try to push through it till I determine that I just cannot take any more time out of the day, and then quit.For whatever reason i have never felt nauseous pushing with a workout and it is probably good. i have a real unnatural fear of getting sick to my stomach and I will fight it tooth and nail . Pregnancy was interesting sith this fact. I hear about people working till they get to that point, but I really wonder if my body ever could. I never sweat either- even if i run for 20 to 30 minutes or ride my bike at a 30 mph clip for 30 minutes. It is one of the odd things my body deals with. Breath fast, yes. Heart racing, yes. But never any sweat.

Squishy ! said...

You know, I think that I start feeling a little sick when I get my heart rate a little too high, and I can't stay cool enough. Last night, I started feeling a big urge to strip my shirt off while I was on the bike, but my self-conscious nature won out. (I was wearing a tank top under my t-shirt.)

Fatinah said...

you could have also been dehydrated....

Squishy ! said...

There always is that possibility, since I sweat a lot when exercising hard. That's why I'm careful to drink lots of water, particularly once I'm off the bike and moving through the weights.