Current Happenings

Saturday, January 17, 2009

Darn You, Arthritis!

It is way too late to be writing on a blog right now, especially with church in the morning. However, I have to confess that I did no exercise today. DH and I picked out a sofa and a chair for the living room... and then he got called to an emergency flood at work. We were close, so he took us with him, and then Pumpkin and I wandered around Kmart until he was ready to head home.

Between the cold and the walking through Kmart, my knee is wreaked. Ugh. It is much ugliness and very swollen. The dumb thing started hurting so bad that even my foot started to hurt. So, I took some Motrin and got to work trying to warm up my knee and massage the fluid out of the area. It's now midnight, and I am finally able to walk alright again, though I'll need to take some more Motrin in a minute, before I go to bed.

Sometimes, exercising and working hard causes me to forget how wimpy some parts of me are. I start to feel all strong and invincible, and then I end up hobbling around and breathing through my teeth. I don't like the feeling, and I don't mean the pain. Pain happens. I've been dealing with pain in my legs for as long as I can remember. Crooked legs does that to a girl. I can't stand that feeling of being weak and confined. I used to kind of enjoy being coddled when I was pregnant and truly unable to even get out of bed. A part of me is really chaffing at feeling unable now, and the other part of me is just surprised by my own feelings! Sure, I wouldn't turn down my husband if he wanted to cook me dinner, rub my feet, bathe me in luxurious bubbles... or anything else so extraordinarily wonderful. (Not that that would ever happen, let me just say. I just had one of those moments. lol) It just makes me gag to feel like I have to ask for simple things, like a glass of water.

Down, pesky pride! Down, I say!

I did eat today. I didn't get much of a chance to document my food choices today, but I did ingest some perfectly substantial food stuffs. DH took us out to breakfast, and I had the "1/2 special". Write me down for 1 egg, 1 slice of toast, 2 sausage links, and a couple bites of steamed hashbrowns with ketchup. I really love potatoes, but I just wasn't enthused about them today. That's a good thing, since I don't usually eat such a heavy breakfast, and it would have only made things unpleasant.

There was no food for me until we got home, many hours later. I ate another 1/3 of the pasta from last night. It wasn't much, but it was enough- if you know what I mean. Then I had some evening snacks. There was 5 oz. raw cucumber with FF sour cream dip, 1 oz. of peanuts, and about 45 grams of chocolate chex. That stuff is way too yummy. Because my calories were coming in too low, I later had some SF angel food cake with SF cherry topping. All in all, I'm logging 1,415 calories for the day. It seemed like a lot more when I was eating it, but I didn't have much time to eat once we got home. Breakfast was more like a brunch at 12:30 pm, and then we didn't get home until around 7pm or so.

My game plan for tomorrow is something like this:

  • Eat around 1,400 calories
  • Drink so much water that I pee like a pregnant woman
  • Enjoy myself at church
  • Exercise for a good, solid 40 mins. or so
  • Eat a couple Motrin
  • Make many of my calories come from cauliflower and yellow squash, before it goes bad!

5 comments:

Losing Myself said...

I know what you mean about the knees. I truely hate it when my arthiritis acts up and I can't even walk up or down the stairs. (although, hubby has now taken over the laundry duties because of it....silver lining to THAT cloud)
Be well my friend.

Brooke said...

Thanks for the comment on my blog. Just came over say hey and check out your blog. Congrats on your weight loss - I can't wait to join you in ONEDERLAND!!! That's a huge feat. It must feel good huh? I really want to be there before the BLBE2 is over. Now, I just need to get past all the negative messages being sent and keep on trekkin'. Let's keep going!!

The Incredible Shrinking Family said...

I also have arthritis, but I can't take Motrin or Tylenol because they put me to sleep. So I use something herbal that takes the pain out in 10 minutes and keeps it gone for he rest of the day. It is called arnica, and is available in the form of a salve or in homeopathic pills. ( I make my own because it's just something I like to do). If you want to try it out, check out a local health food type store and ask them if they have it. I am literally never without it ! It makes moving and exercise possible for me.

Me, Only Better said...

Sorry that you are in so much pain with your knee!

spunkysuzi said...

It must be in air because my arthritis is acting up in my knee this week!! I good if i have a routine but if i over do it, wow i have to slow down for a week :( But i find exercise is the key to arthritis (at least when it's not flaring)