Current Happenings

Sunday, January 4, 2009

Going Mongo, Soy, and Results

We went out to eat at the Mongolian BBQ yesterday. I really do like eating there, even if we do only go once or twice a year. I just got a couple glasses of water, though I really kind of wanted a Diet Coke with lunch. For lunch, I went for a vegetarian plate. I had never tried that before, so I made the mistake of tossing some tofu in my bowl. *laughs*

Tofu is such a strange creation! I've tried it before and didn't care much for it, but I wanted to give it another go. This time around, the flavor was fine, but the texture was just too gross. I know that tofu comes in different consistencies, and maybe I'm a 'firm' kind of girl. I just don't think that I'm going to find out. I'll just pass on all of that.

I did eat a lot of vegetables for lunch though! I filled my bowl to overflowing with bean sprouts, broccoli, red potato, pea pods, and onion. As is usual, I ate with chopsticks and had fun with it. I didn't miss anything of the experience, so I didn't feel deprived at all. When I calculated my calories on the Mongo website, they said that everything was just under 200 calories!

After eating such yummy food, I took myself off for some shopping at the grocery store. I just needed some vegetables and some hot dog buns. Pumpkin and I had some turkey dogs for dinner, and I cooked up a brat-type sausage for DH. I did try something new, which was some soy crisps that they had on sale at the store. I had been telling DH that I wanted some salsa, but was having a hard time finding the right thing to eat it with. I think that I may try to just eat it scooped up on cucumber slices next time. The soy crisps were alright, at least for the first few. After a few moments, I started to become more aware of the funky mouth-feel that came along with them. The closest thing that I can relate it to is the weird mouth-feel of fat-free potato chips with that Olestra. It bugs me. I'm going to stick it out and slowly make my way through the bag, I think. That is only because of the high levels of fiber and protein in these little crisps. I will just have smaller servings and stop eating them when I become aware of the funky mouth-feel. I just won't buy any more of them once they are gone.

After running around for a while, I didn't feel much like preparing meals and such. We had our hotdogs and chips (soy for me). Then, instead of making anything else for the evening, I snacked on some nuts. I did alright though, because I measured them and only ate what was within my calorie budget for the day. All in all, my laziness didn't seem to do me any harm. I was down 1/2 lb. this morning, regardless of shooting for a higher calorie mark and eating salty cashews and peanuts. I am going to eat less salt today though.

0 comments: