Current Happenings

Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Good Morning, World.

It's still a good morning, even if I'm yawning and can't seem to get my eyeballs to wake up. lol

I stepped on the scale this morning, and the typical thing happened- nothing. I exercised pretty late last night, and I always stall out on the scale when I do that. I might be meeting my sister up at the gym tonight, so that will delay any good weigh-in for another day or two still. That's alright though. It will all come out in the wash, and one morning I will be really happy. *laughs*

Last night, I watched the new show "Diet Tribe". The show follows a group of five close friends as they diet and exercise in an effort to lose 30 lbs. in the 90 days that they have before one of the women gets married. Anyway, I thought that the show was alright. I didn't find it very motivating, just because the women complained so much. There seemed to be constant whining or fighting with the trainer, which got on my nerves a bit.

Still, there were some touching parts of the show too. I felt so bad for one of the girls at the weigh-in that I shed a wee tear for her as she was sobbing and saying that she felt like a failure. I know what it is like to be the fattest girl in the room. It's not fun. On the plus side, I've never had to share my weight with people in a public manner. That would be hard, so I really felt for her.

All in all, I think that I may stick with this show for a couple of weeks and see how things go. I've got "The Biggest Loser" to watch, so I'm not desperate enough for a fitness show that I feel obligated to watch something that isn't very uplifting. Who knows though? Maybe the whole show will start to change as the women get used to working hard and making healthier choices.

Why do I care about fitness shows? I watch them while I exercise, and sometimes while I eat. I like to watch "The Biggest Loser" while I exercise, because they show so much physical exertion. It is motivating. Now, when I eat, I like to watch things like TLC specials on obesity. The shows on Brookhaven are pretty nifty to watch, and nothing curbs my will to eat junk like witnessing the self destruction of super-morbidly obese people. Watching them struggle with sitting up, let alone walking, helps to remind me what is important- and it isn't how delicious a cheeseburger is. When I see folks dragging along limbs that are disfigured by lymphodemas, not only do I want to cry for them, but I also want to eat right and keep my body moving so I don't ever do something like that to myself. I would rather learn from someone else's mistakes and save myself that kind of pain. It could be any of us in those beds, if we stopped caring for our health. I do care though, and I want to continue to care for all of my days.

Well, for as much as I love to gab here, I need to get some breakfast. I think that I'd like some kind of vegetable hash this morning, and probably an egg. I'm off to go poke through the fridge to see what I have.

0 comments: