Current Happenings

Friday, January 2, 2009

The Great Reprieve

It is so comforting to know that there aren't any more big dinners for a while. Not only isn't there an air of festive gluttony, everyone is focused on losing weight! Then, of course, we have Lent in a couple of months. I don't know if I've mentioned it before, but Lent is one of our favorite times of the year. With that time of pulling apart the fibers of our worldly selves in order to look at the truth of who we are (bringing an ever-increasing gratitude to the Lord for His mercy), the focus of daily life turns away from food. Even Easter is a rather safe place, because the festivities aren't as drawn out and blown up as during the Christmas season.

For me, this feels like such a healing season. Some things are harder, like handing the crowds at the gym. I want people to be happy and healthy, but I also want them to not have me waiting a half hour for a treadmill either. *chuckles* I know that I am impatient and somewhat demanding, but I am getting better about it every day that I breathe. Anyway, though there are some small annoyances, the air feels cleaner. No one is talking about the 12 dozen cookies that they just baked, nor the 5 different types of pie. There are commercials on tv for fitness equipment, and not just the various fast food joints.

It is no wonder that I quite frequently find myself motivated and feeling empowered to improve my health near the beginning of each year. Generally, I find myself changing my behavior around February. It feels a little strange to already be walking that walk now, knowing that I've already been working at this for 7 months. There is no 'fresh start' for me this year, because I've been taking care of myself already. That is a good feeling.

0 comments: