Current Happenings

Monday, January 26, 2009

Gym Buddy

Man, I could really use a gym buddy. I tell ya, sometimes I just want to grab one of those men that I see walking around the gym, and asking them if I could tag along and have a go at it. (I go to a "manly gym". Most girls stick to the treadmill for some reason.) It gets pretty old feeling like I'm alone in this. Of course, that's why I go to the gym in the first place. I like the people.

See that picture on my sidebar? I don't know about you, but I think that that lady has a beautiful body. I don't think that she is so muscular to no longer look feminine. I bet that when she isn't on the stage, and is wearing regular clothes, she's probably fits her clothes in a very attractive manner. I showed the picture to Sis, and told her that that was what I was working toward, something like that. When am I going to learn?? Her reply was to say, "I hope your joking."

I love my sister very much, and it is fun to be with her usually. I'm thinking that her lack of support may have been the death knell for any 'gym buddy' relationship that we may have gotten back into. I know what she wants for herself, and while it's not what I would choose, I'm all for helping her in being active enough to achieve it. I'd like to be able to make up my mind about some things without being put in a position of defending my desires, as though there is something wrong with them.

I am not a small girl. It doesn't matter how much I modify my diet, I am not going to be a fragile flower of a woman. More than that though, I've come to realize that what I want for my outside is a reflection of what is on my inside. I am less the lamb, and more the lioness. To be blunt, driving myself hard does some incredible things to my body chemistry, and it's addictive. I need something to chase, some kind of goal to pursue. It's not enough to mindlessly go through the motions in order to be "not fat". I don't know if that makes any sense to anyone but me. Sis certainly doesn't understand my desire to be anything other than "skinny".

I don't think that Sis is trying to be less than supportive. Maybe it is just in her nature. *laughs* I don't know. She wants to go to the gym with me because she wants to be pushed, but then she makes backwards comments about my own fitness because she can't keep up. I just want to laugh and tell her that she had better work harder if it means so much to her vanity that she be the skinniest of us girls. I know that it sounds catty, but it's just the irony of it all. She can probably outrun me any day, and I'm fine with that. I would expect that she has some areas where she is better able than I am. That doesn't make me any kind of failure. I wish that she would learn that, and stop flagellating me with her own insecurities.

Personally, I would love to have a gym buddy who was a little more fit than I am. I like to have someone push me that extra inch when I don't think I can give it. That's what I loved about being in the weightlifting class in highschool. There were only a couple of other girls, the rest were guys. They didn't treat me like a weak little girl, but got in my face and urged me to do a little more than I thought I could. It was wonderful. I'll do it all on my own if I have to, but I'd love to have someone to workout with who has that same fire in their belly.

7 comments:

The Incredible Shrinking Family said...

Personally I think the picture you posted is a realistic one to shoot for- toned and healthy. It seems to be a very achievable goal to me.

Here my gym buddy is a 16 yr old boy who keeps saying "come one mom, you can do it !" between the lines of "mom you are awesome" and lots of giggling when mom tries to get into different yoga positions. I tried belly dancing once but could not stand listening to the snickers .

Sarah said...

I'm sort of the opposite to you, unless I'm going to a class I'd rather workout by myself. I just find I can get more done, if I'm with a friend I just get chatty and no work is being done.

I do understand getting support though, because if you had a buddy and you don't feel like going your buddy would make you go. I hope you can find a balance so that you can get great workouts at the gym.

Do you have classes there? I know I'm biased, but I find them pretty movtivating even when I'm tired or not wanting to be there.

Me, Only Better said...

I have no desire for a gym buddy, but I would love a personal trainer (= A paid buddy!

You and your sister seem like you have quite the relationship (=

Squishy ! said...

While I do work really well on my own, sometimes I need a little encouragement when I get tired and start dragging tail. Thankfully, I'm not one of those chatty people. It's enough to have someone to match pace with when running, or someone who will spot me on the weights. :o )

Dale said...

I added ya to my blogroll at http://iquitagain.com. Good Luck with a gym partner - to be honest, most of those guys at the gym wouldn't mind if you asked - unless your pic is not current and you are actually balding and over 400 lbs. but assuming your pic is you, now... go for it, they will say sure...

Fatinah said...

I tried working with a gym buddy - but in the end I preferred to be on my own. I guess I just didn't have the right gym buddy - but I found it oppressive. I found the back handed comments I got too hard to deal with. Now my gym buddy is good old Harry Potter. I listen to the audio books and loose myself in the story so I don't notice how heavy the weights are!

I like the picture you have as inspiration. That person looks quite fit. Good luck with your journey!

fabulousnewbody said...

I love your aspiration photo. I don't think it's unrealistic. It's just going to take a lot of work. Which is why we're all here, huh!