Current Happenings

Thursday, January 15, 2009

Happy Morning to You!

I am having a happy morning also! Yesterday was my rest day, and it felt good to relax. Not only that, but it felt good to wake up this morning, step on the scale, and see a different number! I'm down another 1/2 lb. , which isn't much, but feels like something huge. I am just so glad to be another step closer to one to one of my goals.

In another 2.5 lbs., I will have reached a mark of 50 lbs. lost. I will also have reached a status of "overweight" and the 100's. See why it means so much to me? I don't mean to be impatient, and I'm not usually such a headcase about these things, but it makes me crazy to sit on the precipice.

I feel very encouraged and uplifted by that small little move in the scale! I feel so invigorated that I'm willing to give it up for a few day. That probably sounds funny, but I don't know what my body is going to do when I start exercising hard again. I'll have to keep all of this in mind and take a rest day or two before my weigh in. Otherwise, I don't know that I'd get a very truthful reading on the scale.

Today is going to be a much busier day, which is good for me. I'm going to get my exercise in and really whoop up on it. Maybe I'll go for another 3 miles, instead of the 2. We'll see. It all depends on how bad my arthritis in my knee is going to bug me. These really bitter days make me hurt more than usual, though I can't say why. I'm reluctant to look into it all, partially because I like to pretend that my knee isn't as jacked as it is. I feel a little sheepish about it, but come on- I'm only 28 years old. I just know that I have to keep moving if I want to be able to walk on it, particularly since I wasn't able to get things straight with the insurance people so I could get that special custom brace. Maybe it's for the best anyway. It would have just hurt, which would have discouraged me from exercising. I had no silly pipe dreams that the brace would "fix" me, and I'm not letting any doctor break my legs. So, it seems the most reasonable thing to just try and do all of the things that I really want to do, but with a little creativity.

Anyway, I'm sure that explains why I do a lot of walking on the glider. It doesn't impact my knees, and that ensures that I can walk for the rest of the day. Otherwise, I tend to swell up like an overstuffed sausage. I am feeling pretty excited about getting physically fit enough to pull out my erg again though. Oh, how I wish that I could row. It is so beautiful, being out there in the morning as the sun comes up and sparkles off the water. I never did care about competitions, but it was so nice just to be out there with the girls, moving through the water. If I thought that I wouldn't drown myself, I might think about buying a boat.

All this thinking on boats makes me contemplate what I'm going to enjoy doing, not just for exercise, but just for the fun of doing it. While I can't afford anything fancy, maybe I'll take a trip to the kayak shop with my sister's in-laws this summer. I think that I would really enjoy padding around through the waterways that snake all together in this area. Being thinner opens up all sorts of opportunities for new experiences!

Ok, I'm getting back on track now. I had reached a fitness slump and was too overweight to safely use my erg before. So, now I am better able to use it again. Rowing is a great way to exercise the whole body. You need to have a strong core, so as not to hurt your back. A woman's largest muscle groups, in the lower body, are the driving force with rowing. I have to say that it also sculpts some killer arms, shoulders, and back muscles. Hey, all of that on a slide track that removes impact on the knees, and it's wickedly awesome. Truthfully, it makes me wonder why eliptical machines are the dolls of the gym right now.

Alrighty, that is enough chattering. Pumpkin is done with science, phonics, and free reading. I feel good about giving her a break... so I can go exercise. We can do math once I'm tuckered out.

2 comments:

The Incredible Shrinking Family said...

Congratulations ! You are so close to a personal milestone that you can taste it ! It will come !

Losing Myself said...

Cograts on the weight loss. You WILL make that goal. Reaching a gaol is so wonderful. My goal is to be at 170 by the end of January. That's about 5 lbs next 2 weeks. Should be able to, but have been stuck here for TOO LONG!