Current Happenings

Thursday, January 1, 2009

Moving Into the New Year

2008 was a pretty good year for me, weight loss included. I'm still amazed at how something rather bad, like an awful arthritic knee, could make me happier. I'm amazed at how one little lie, and the consequent guilt could trigger me doing the right thing- and being happy about it.

During the second half of 2008, I managed to lose 44 lbs. in all. That's not too shabby! I feel like that brought me so much more freedom than I had before. I've been able to enjoy many different things that were difficult for me to do at a heavier weight.

I am praying that 2009 is just as productive of a year for me. That's not to say that I am looking to lose that much weight this year, though I wouldn't turn my nose up at it. What I desire is to keep doing and trying new things. As the weight comes off, new doors are opened to me, revealing new adventures. I'm at the point in my life where there are so many wonderful and fun things to do, and I want to do them all. Pumpkin is old enough now that she is excited to try all sorts of new things, and I want to do them with her. I may even try to ice skate again (with pads!), even though my crooked feet make me skate in circles. *laughs* I look forward to summer, when we can play soccer together... and I can actually run after the ball! If I had any kind of coordination with a bat, I'd think about joining a softball team.

I'm not so concerned about the number on the scale now, not like I was before. I think that I've reached a point where I am content with how I look and feel, and so my lifestyle changes don't seem like a war against myself. If I stayed at this weight, I wouldn't be devastated. I wouldn't feel like I had to fib to anyone when they ask me my weight, and certainly not my doctor.

My plan for this year is to keep on keeping on. I know how to feed myself well. I know that I need regular exercise to keep myself strong, so I don't injure so easily. I'm going to just keep doing these things. After I reach my one year mark on May 20th, it is my goal to increase my calories slowly and find my threshold between losing and maintaining. The second part of 2009 will hopefully be my opportunity to show myself that I can keep my weight within a 10 lb. range of weight. This will probably be much harder than actually losing weight, but I've got to learn sometime. It might as well be this year. In the meantime though, I'm still wittling away at the extra squishiness on my frame, and enjoying the new feel of me as it comes off.

2 comments:

Jericho said...

Join the softball team!

You just have to find the right team!

My wife joined up a softball team two years ago. The team was more about PLAYING the game than winning the game. I don't think they ever won a game, but between practice and games, my wife lost some weight and checked her diabetes. I'm sure if she hadn't gone back to school, she would still be doing softball.

As soon as I lose a few pounds and can run without breaking my knees, I want to find a casual soccer team or casual softball or something. Heck, maybe I'll start with bowling. Anything to get me up and moving!

They have casual dodge ball leagues around here. Woot! :)

Look around your area. I noticed you root for the Red Wings, I bet there are casual softball leagues in the Detroit area. If you aren't in Detroit - well, there's probably still some around. Get out there and enjoy your new body!

Squishy ! said...

Thanks so much, Jericho!! I am just so out of the loop when it comes to adult sports, I had better start looking NOW to see what is available in better weather. lol Ideally, I think that I would like to play soccer, but I don't think that they would let me play with the 5 year olds. That IS where my skill level is.

You know what I think sounds fun? Kickball!! I haven't played that since I was in elementary school. It sounds like fun though.