Current Happenings

Saturday, January 31, 2009

Spontaneously Imploding Head

Every once in a while, someone will say something so completely unbelievable tactless that it makes my brain hurt. I admit to doing that to other people on occasion, but I try not to live in the land of foot-in-mouth disease. Other people, I've noticed, don't make such an effort.

I had a male relative comment to me recently that I had lost a substantial amount of weight. Being that I'm happy that he noticed at all, I smiled real big, horsey teeth and all. Then the craziest thing happened. That one little comment morphed into a spiel about how he didn't like fat girls at all and found them completely unattractive. He bragged about how thin his girlfriend is, and said that he didn't understand "chubby chasers" because he couldn't fall in love with a girl whom he found physically revolting due to her weight.

By this time, I was trying very hard to not look at him. I pretended to be unwaveringly focused on washing dishes, even though I felt like my face was practically purple. Wow. Just wow. I have no idea why that would have anything to do with me, but it felt more than a little insulting to link my weight loss and improved fitness with his own desires and disgusts. I think that I may have thrown up a little in my mouth, being that we are closely related.

I will chalk this up to another reason why I am so very blessed to have my husband. He has loved me through thick and thin, whether the circumstances of life or the measurement of my waist. When I was so horrifically depressed and overcome with grief, he never shamed me when he found me mindlessly nibbling and crying. He has looked at me during the best and worst of times, and always found me beautiful- not the least bit repulsive.

B-L-E-S-S-I-N-G

7 comments:

JER29ELEVEN said...

"Wow. Just wow" is right. I'm gobsmacked.

I know those stupid views of women - that the thin ones are worth someone's time, while the chubby ones are just taking up valuable space and it's unbelievable that anyone would look at them lovingly - exist. It just continues to surprise me when someone, in a mind-numbingly stupid way, expresses them.

Next time, say..."You know, I am so thankful for my husband. He's such a loving, understanding man. He's not superficial and shallow like those men who think women are just show-pieces that have to be model-perfect to be of any value. I can't stand men who just think that they're God's gift to women and that any woman associated with them has to be a certain way to be worthy. How disgusting is that? What foolish little man-child thinks that way?!"

The Incredible Shrinking Family said...

I have met guys like that. A very wise person once said to me that all men are given two heads, but sadly many are given just enough blood to fill only one at a time. Congratulations to you for finding one who has enough blood for both !

Kud said...

WTF?!?!?!? That guy sounds like an ass!!!!!! I'm soo glad you're with your husband too. Someone that superficial should belong with someone equally superficial. That's all I have to say. That way, us good girls can get the guys with true substance.

Losing Myself said...

It so sad that there are guys in the world that are THAT shallow. I am glad that there are men like our husbands that love us for who we are, not how much we do or do not weigh! I not only feel sorry for guy like that, but also for the women who get tangled up with them. Can you imagine being afraid to gain an ounce because your man might not love you any more if you did? No thank you!!!!

TJ said...

It's kind of sad that he just doesn't get it. I'm so thankful also for my Hubman. He's loved me through thick and thin...literally.

Marisa (Trim The Fat) said...

OMG!!! Pity the girl stuck with that guy!

Glad your hubby is a keeper!!

Don't let that dork take away from your shining moments! You deserve all the compliments- you're doing great!!

Me, Only Better said...

What an ass!