Current Happenings

Sunday, January 4, 2009

Wrap-Up : January 4, 2009

Today has been a good day, though I've had a little bit of a hard time getting my food in. I just got a late start because DH and I lingered in the bedroom, just talking and reading. So, that pushes all of my meals around, and I kind of squish them in because I don't want to eat too late at night. I want to leave at least an hour between when I finish my last meal and when I go to bed. Thankfully, I eat small meals and I have a book that I want to read before bed. I'll probably need that book to buy me some time tonight, because I am pushing it with my oatmeal tonight.

I got some exercise in this afternoon. I decided to put on my running shoes and take a few laps around the block. It is 0.3 miles around the block, and I went around 4 times. So, I got in about 1.2 miles of walking today. On the last lap, I did run half of it, including a sprint down my street to the house. Boy, I became aware of the cold air! I was doing alright while I was walking, but after I had been inside for about 10-15 minutes, I noticed how much my lungs were burning. I don't know how people regularly run in the winter. I used to do it, but it has always been the same story. My lungs just burn and wheeze like crazy. Maybe it would be better if I wore something over my face, but then I'm not able to suck enough air. I can't feel like I'm re-breathing stale air with a higher CO content without having a bad reaction. I can't even sleep face-to-face with DH because I can't have him breathing on me.

It was good exercise though, and it felt nice to be outside. I'm taking down the Christmas tree tomorrow, and DH is going to help me bring up my walking 'glider' (think 'gazelle'). It's not the same as running, but it is easy on my knees and was much cheaper than a treadmill. I paid $120 for it, and it has survived the past 7 years or so just fine. When I get tired of using the glider, I'll take it downstairs and bring my bike back up, or maybe the rowing machine. I do love the rowing machine, but I need to be in pretty good health to handle the vigorous exercise. It is my favorite piece of equipment though, which is probably a holdover from my days with the Crew during high school. Anyway, I'll start with the glider tomorrow.

0 comments: