Current Happenings

Sunday, February 8, 2009

Oh, Wonderfulness That Is Greek Food

It's probably a good thing that I went light on breakfast this morning. We were getting ready for church, so I hurriedly ate some Fiber One cereal with Almond Breeze and a Yoplait light yogurt cup. I had the Cherry Cobbler one this time, and it was alright. I didn't think it was anything much to write home about, but it wasn't bad either. I had hoped to really like Boston Creme Pie, but it was just blah. Anyway, back to the topic on hand...

I was such a good girl at church today. They had cinnamon rolls that they were selling this week (raises funds for youth trips). I bought one for DH, and popped it in the microwave for him, so it would be the most wonderful thing he'd seen this morning- aside from me, of course. *chuckles* I didn't have any. I didn't even sneak a swipe of the frosting that had dripped onto the plate. Nope. I was a good girl.

After church, DH took us out for lunch, and I had a gyro. Oh, how I wanted to have some flaming cheese! *sigh* I love watching them light it on fire. Instead of getting the flaming cheese, or even the beautiful stuffed grape leaves- I opted for a chicken gyro. See what a good girl I am? I passed the beef and lamb, not only for the sake of cutting a few calories, but also because I don't like to eat baby animals. I'll take mutton. That's fine. I just don't like eating babies. It also helps that the chicken is leaner, though my mouth couldn't tell the difference after they put that lovely Greek tzatziki yogurt sauce on it.

For as yummy as my gyro was, I'm not sure what the calorie count is on it. I might have gotten slapped with flaming goat cheese if I had dared to ask. *laughs* I did check FitDay though, and their approximation is that it was probably around 542 calories. I can deal with that, especially since breakfast was so lean.

Since it is so wonderfully God-blessedly beautiful outside, I am going to jog around the block for a while, instead of going to the gym. I don't need a treadmill to tell me that I move as slow as a turtle. I'd rather be sighing with bliss about the sunshine, instead of lamenting the fact that I've never been a fast runner- and probably never will be. I am going to stick to my block though, because I know the condition of the concrete and I've already calculated the distance per lap. I think that I need to get one of those lap counters though, because I have a hard time remembering what lap I'm on. The best that I manage anymore is to roll a hairband onto my pinky-finger and move it along my fingers as I get through my laps. Sometimes I use a ring, if I have one that is a good size, and I don't care if I accidentally drop it in a puddle of gunk.

Well, I think that I've killed enough time, and my gyro should be digested by now. Or, at least I hope that it is. lol I'm too geeked about getting out in the sunshine, I'm gonna just head out there now anyway. The worst that can happen is that I have to taste it again, I guess. *laughs*

Happy Sunday to you!!

2 comments:

Tracy said...

I love gyros and I haven't had one since I started this. Now I may have to start planning one. : ) I've never had the flaming cheese, but I imagine as much as I like cheese I would enjoy it.

The Incredible Shrinking Family said...

I love chicken gyros ! There is a place in our area that has some absolutely faboo ones, and i have not been to it in almost 3 years nos. I won't be going either because their portions are GYNORMOUS, but you have got me to thinking about trying to make some chicken gyros here at home next week. Flaming cheese always makes me giggle for some reason, and I have no clue as to why.