Current Happenings

Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Cough, Hack, Groan

Have I mentioned that I somehow hurt my elbow? Well, I did. It was fine one minute, hurting the next. It's enough to make a gal a little crazy, except that I'm a little crazy already. I hate feeling fragile, but it seems as though I am continually hurting something. This time it is my right elbow, which I didn't think was all that bad until I just tried to pull my nephew up onto my lap. Yeeoowww!

Anyway, since my arm is pretty useless without this joint, I had to alter my plans for exercise. I had started walking on the glider, and then I just decided that I couldn't keep "not getting anywhere". So, I grabbed some of my husband's winter "keep me warm so I don't die" shirts, and I pulled them on under a fleece pull-over and a zippie. That seemed to be just enough layers to keep me from turning into an ice cube as I stepped out the door to start jogging. Man, that air was cold!! That would explain why I am coughing again. I'm not sick, but my lungs are less than happy. I made it through four laps though, which is about 1-1/4 miles. Then, I decided that the bitter wind was just too much, too hard to breathe. I came inside and "jogged" for 25 minutes on the glider. I guess it could still be walking, but my walking calculator tops out at 4.9 mph, and I generally keep up an average pace around 5.3 mph. We're getting ready to sit down to some tv now, so I'm going to sit on the stationary bike and pedal while I'm watching the shows on our DVR.

Can someone give me a shout-out and tell me that I'm not the only funny person who eats while riding a bike or walking on a treadmill? I don't have anything heavy, but a salad or some naked popcorn are great to nibble on while I'm biking that same spot in my living room. *grins*

To help me get all of my water in, I've been mixing up some "zero calorie" flavored water. I get the drink mix at Aldi, and it's pretty cheap. Instead of drinking it at full potency, I fill my big cup up with water, and then pour enough of the pink water in to color it a bit. That gives me just enough of a difference in taste that I can convince my brain that I'm not drinking a ton of water all day long. I may buy some of the lemonade mix next time I go shopping, just to change things up a little bit.

I wish I knew what to do to keep from coughing and hacking up a lung. I know, that came out of nowhere. I'm a little A.D.D. when I blog. I don't know how people run in the cold. I'm not good at it. I've never had any real success with running in the cold, though I think it is so cute to see folks with ice-crusted eyelashes. I'm probably just not meant to be that person. I've never been a smoker, so I know that isn't it. I don't know. I just don't know.

Ok, I'm dragging my tired behind out of this chair, and I'm going to plug in my new air-popper. Popcorn, here I come!

5 comments:

♥ Dee ♥ said...

Eating while excercising? Only you, darling! LOL

Ida said...

Eating while you exercise....hmmm, at least you aren't eating a chocolate sundae while exercising.

Graciela said...

Exercise, especially in cold air, can be a common trigger for asthma, and mild asthma often shows up as coughing spells after activity. It's probably not serious, but maybe your doctor could give you an inhaler. In the meantime, I wouldn't run outside in the cold.

And I hope your elbow gets better.

I have trouble walking and chewing gum at the same time...so no, I don't exercise and eat at the same time. :-)

Marisa (Trim The Fat) said...

I don't think I could exercise and eat at the same time since I am generally gasping for air while exercising and eating could complicate that causing a need for the hiemlick(sp?) maneuver! LOL!!

Hope your elbow is better soon!

Kud said...

You definitely are unique in the whole combining eating and exercising bit you do. I definitely watch food network while exercising and often will spend tens of minutes planning out what I'm going to be eating as soon as I get off X-machine. So food is on my mind for sure!! I'm sorry to hear about your elbow. Hopefully some good TLC and rest will take it right where you need it to be.