Current Happenings

Thursday, March 19, 2009

Tortoise

Ok, I got my jog in. I'm sure that my neighbors think that I'm more than a little weird, but thankfully we did already establish that fact some 5 years ago.

I logged a good 2.4 miles in 28 minutes, which CPH says is a pace of 5.1 mph. I'm not sure how accurate that is, but I don't have a fancy GPS device to tell me the exact distance of my route, pace, etc. I just rely on an online map with GPS coordinates, and then use the same route with some regularity. What it lacks in accuracy, at least it makes up in not costing me anything. I just need an approximate anyway. I'm not running any races, particularly since I must be at least 1/2 tortoise, but it's good to know if I'm slacking off or not.

I'm going to be honest and say that this exercise didn't feel good. CPH says that I burned about three times as many calories as I managed to eat this morning. As you can imagine, that doesn't do much good for a gal's energy levels. Still, I wanted to move- not so much for burning calories, but just to move. I firmly believe that not moving leads to more not moving. When I stretch my legs and move often, then I want that exercise more often- even when I don't feel well. As soon as I start making excuses to sit on my butt, that's all I do. I just continue to sit on my butt. There is always another seemingly "really good excuse" waiting right around the corner.

The air was rather cold today. I was praying that the wind would die down a bit while I was running right into the wind. Ick. My eyes started leaking, so to a casual observer it would look like I really hated running. *laughs* There's nothing like sniffling and crying while running laps. Darned breeze. :o ) I think that the most distracting thing about this jog was that my leggings kept trying to fall off my butt. I find it interesting that I can handle foot pain and blisters, but go crazy when it feels like I'll run myself right out of my pants. Now that I know how it is, I'm going to switch to my grey drawstring yoga pants for running. At least those can't fall down.

Once I start feeling a little better, it will be time to take another trip up to the gym. When the weather is good, I prefer to exercise outside. There is something good to be said about running on a machine that forces you not to run too fast though. When I get outside, I want to go, go, go. I don't pace myself that well, so if I want to try and slow things down, I have to break up the running with spots of walking. Otherwise, I'll run until I make myself pass-out or puke. That may be the way of The Biggest Loser, but it's not the way of the Squishy. I take more of a common sense approach to exercise and weight loss, feeling no need to beat myself into mushy mass in order to "win". I guess that is the difference between doing it on your own versus going on what amounts to a game show. Anyway, I want to give myself a little endurance test. I don't really care about how fast I am running, so long as I am running. I just want to see how long I can keep it up before I can't do it any longer. That may only be 30-45 minutes or so. It could be a couple of hours. I don't really know.

There is a learning curve in taking back my body. I know, who did I take it back from? *laughs* Sickness. Depression. It's not unreasonable to expect that my body would follow my mind into all of that, and it doesn't look pretty in a pair of low-rise jeans. Now that I've taken up the upkeep of my body again, I feel the need to play with it a little bit. Oh, it's kind of how you test-drive a fast car, just to see what it can do. I want to see what I can do. Thankfully, I don't have anyone to compete with or measure myself against. I can't fail. *grins* So, even though I run like a tortoise, it's all good.

Does anyone stopping by know anything about endurance running? Granted, I'm not some marathon runner or anything. That's hilarious to even think about. I guess that is why I could use some tips. If I'm running for any real length of time, should I be drinking something other than water?

0 comments: