Current Happenings

Sunday, May 3, 2009

The post where I make faces at myself.....

I've been grumpy the past few days. I'm not talking about a little grumpy either. It's not uncommon these days for me to just sit at the table with my head in my arms. There isn't much else to do, unless I want to switch chairs and crochet. I'm almost done with a patchwork blanket, though I don't have anyone to give it to. I just needed something to do, other than watch tv.

Pain sucks. What really bugs me is that it isn't just a sharp pain when I walk. I have a dull, constant pain. I wake up in pain. I go to bed in pain. By the time that I go to bed, my sore foot has messed up my bad knee. Add to that a horrifically bad period this week, and I've just not been feeling like myself. My sister thinks that I should go see a gynecologist about the pain that I've been having, but I'm going to wait and see what it is like next month. Technically, I've had two cycles this month, but it's not uncommon for my body to do weird things now that my sister is living with us. This past week has been awful though. My entire abdomen was tender, and instead of having any cramps, I was just in continual pain. There was no ebb and flow, it was just constant icky crap. I've dealt with this before, but it was back before I got pregnant with Ezzie in '06. Anyway, it really stunk being a big mass of pain from my abdomen to my toes.

For a few days now, I've been eating junk. Not all of my food has been junk, but I haven't been careful about the 'what' and 'how much'. For instance, we had pizza the other night because we needed dinner, I was curled up in a ball of pain, and everyone kept looking at me as the great provider of all things food. I just got so danged angry and frustrated, I just grabbed whatever cash I could scrape up and got a couple 'hot and ready' pizzas for everyone. I had two pieces. That wasn't terrible, but do you see where I'm going? I've been doing whatever is the easiest, while wearing my grumpy eyebrows over teary eyes.

My weight isn't terrible. I'm coming in at 195.5 , which is 4 lbs. heavier than my lowest weight. It's not a horrible number, but I'm not going to let this get out of control. A couple pounds of this is water, because that's just how I roll. *chuckles* The rest is assuredly some fat. I'm still trying to figure out what I can do though. I made myself walk laps around the block today. I walked 4 laps, and that is just over a mile. My foot is on fire. I'm not completely sure that I can feel my toes any more. I've tried soaking in hot water and massage. I've tried stretches and ice. Still, the darned thing hurts before I even touch my toes to the floor in the morning.

I guess the long and short of it is that I can either let the pain be an excuse, or I can find a way to work around it. Since I am feeling a little bit better, I'm going to do various leg lifts, crunches, and upper body weights today. I don't need to stand on my feet to do any of that. If I feel like the pressure is going to be ok, I can ride the recumbent bike later for some cardio. I'd say that 80% of this is dietary though, so I've got to get my game face on and try and find ways to plan around my inability to stand around in the kitchen so much, preparing food. It also wouldn't hurt to let the other two adults in the house prepare things for the kids once in a while.

Some 'no-no' foods for me right now are:
- anything sugary (aside from naturally sweet foods, like fruits)
- snack food from processed grains (dry cereals, pretzels, etc.)
- fast food

Normally, I can have small portions of all of those things. However, I've got way too much time on my hands, sitting around bored. That makes for a very bad combination.

I'm going to take this day by day, and I'll write here to give myself somewhere to virtually stomp my foot, and reason out what is going on with me. I thought about posting my foods on here, but sometimes that is more of a headache than it is worth. In this realm of diet and fitness, folks tend to go a little overboard with opinions on food choices. I'm a rather bull-headed gal, and few things annoy me as badly as someone telling me that they don't like what I'm eating. So, I'll keep track of my input, but I don't think that I'm going to post it up on here, because I'm too grumpy lately to check myself before grumping at other people. *wink*

Alright, I guess that is it for now. I need to go and get some lunch. I'm going to have some ham and fruit, and whatever vegetable that I can find that is easily cooked without my needing to hover.

1 comments:

Ida said...

Bless your heart, girl. I feel for you. Good luck, and hopefully this too shall pass. Will be praying.