Current Happenings

Thursday, June 4, 2009

Nearly Home

I've had a lot of fun while on vacation this past week. I always love spending time with my grandparents, my uncle, and my mama. I'm always sad when it's time to come home, because you never know whether you'll be able to all come together the next year. Life is like that.

We had a great time swimming in the pool, and playing with Grandma's little puppy. I've walked the lane for exercise, and waved at the neighbors as they came out to walk too. We've seen Mocking Birds for the first time, moo-ed at cows, played old video games, and even visited the Tennessee Aquarium. We adults ogled the sights with as much enthusiasm as my 8 year old daughter. My favorite creature was the weedy sea dragon. I loved the jellies too though.

My husband and I went for a drive through the country this morning, just looking around. We love just taking in the views. Some people that these things for granted, but I live in a poor suburb. I see more broken glass and overtaken concrete than anything else. It's refreshing to see rolling hills and tree-laden mountains.

My diet has been pretty atrocious. I'm being honest, at least. I couldn't have brought special groceries, because my grandma never has room for that stuff. Her fridge is an amazing work of balancing and good 'ole stuffing. I'd also never dream of hurting my grandma's feelings by not eating her fried pork chop, or spaghetti. So, I've eaten what the family has eaten, and maybe I'll pay for it a little bit. That's ok. I've been active by walking and swimming every day. I've even managed to get in a few squats and leg raises. I'm not going to worry or fuss about any of it though. There will be plenty of time to get down to the business of knocking off pounds once I get home.

It will be nice to get home and have more control over my routine. It's going to be a little sad too. I'm not usually sad to go home, but I am this year. Maybe it is just my stress levels of late, and maybe a bit of dread over how DH is going to handle watching his papa get more and more sick. All in all, it has been relaxing to be here. I can sit out on the porch with a book and just relax while listening to the birds. I can swim and play with my daughter without having to worry about what anyone else needs of me at the time. Life must get back to normal, I guess.

If there is something that I'm going to take away with me, it is that I want to take more time to play with my daughter. We've had a lot of fun just spending time together, whether it has been splashing around in the pool, or sitting and brushing her hair for an hour while watching a movie. I've missed her, and that sounds strange, since we are always together. I guess life has just been too busy. We need to slow things down a little bit. We can take that home with us- a little bit of SLOW from Tennessee.

0 comments: