Current Happenings

Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Hospitalization, Recovery, & Nutrition

My appointment with the surgeon was short and sweet this morning. It didn't take her long to determine that the muscle of my abdomen has torn and separated. I'm not completely clear about the explanation that she gave, but it had to do with compromised muscle resulting from my two previous vertical c-section incisions and having my gall bladder surgery having been done through my belly button. There was only a 4 inch section of my abdomen, below my belly button, that hasn't been scarred. All that will change on the 23rd.

In a couple of weeks, I am going to have my muscle sewn back together. I'll even be gifted with a sheet of mesh that will be attached, to keep my guts from trying to pop out again. *chuckles* After having a bad time with the spinal when I had my daughter, I'm opting to be completely knocked out this time around. That's much easier to take than crazy muscle spasms, leaking spinal fluid, and blood patches. I'd much rather have a nap.

What has me concerned is that I am going to need time to recover. After I come home from the hospital, I will be very dependent on my husband. I'm rather worried about this surgery acting as a setback in my renewed vigor toward making good choices. That may sound stupid to some people, but probably only those who don't know what it is like to find a "sober" period with food after having been in a rather "drunken" state.

Now, I thought that maybe I should pack the freezer with my favorite frozen Healthy Choice and Lean Cuisine meals, but I'm concerned about the sodium content. I know that they add potassium to counteract the affects of high sodium, and yet I know that having too much potassium is bad for a person also.

My other concern is that I don't know how much I should be eating while my body recovers. I'm kind of lost, knowing that I will be laying down a lot, walking very slowly when I DO move, and not knowing how much I should feed my body under these circumstances. Normally, I would just throw up my hands and try not to think about any of this stuff, but this is important to me right now. Because of my poor coping skills when dealing with pain, I've eaten myself an extra 8-1/2 lbs. onto my body already. I'm working hard to keep my head in the game and get a handle on this, which is why I'm so worried. Eight and a half pounds isn't a ton of weight, but it will only get harder to get it all off if I put on any more.

With all of that in mind, I'm focused tightly on eating a clean diet and trying to move as much as I can. I've got these two weeks to do as much good as I can for myself before having to switch to "lay around the house and eat Motrin" mode.

1 comments:

Ida said...

Maybe it would be good if you talked to the dietitian at the hospital. They could probably help you with what to eat so as not to gain weight while giving your body what it needs to heal. I will be praying for a speedy, and somewhat painfree recovery. God bless, my friend