Current Happenings

Monday, August 3, 2009

Good Recovery

Hi Friends! I am happy to say that I am home from the hospital, and have had a few good days of recovery at home. I've got myself a bit of a sore tummy, but that is to be expected. I've got what looks to be a 4-5 inch incision in my abdomen that wraps around the side of my belly button, but it's hard to say. You know how they put all of those bandages on there. I guess that I've got some kind of super steri-strips over my stitches, and I think that the stitches are probably the kind that dissolve. I can't imagine them pulling these sticky bandages off with regular sutures under there. That kind of thing would get someone punched in the eye, if you know what I'm sayin'. lol

It looks like this is going to be a rather long learning curve, trying to be active and healthy while everything around (and within) me changes. When I talked with my surgeon and explained that I was running every day and lifting weights, she looked at me like I was insane. I don't think that she is going to be much help to me, as far educating me on how much I can do and can't do. My family doctor won't be much help with that either. So, it looks as though I will be mainly on my own, though my husband said that he will talk with some of his "friends" at work, at the therapy building. The gals over there might be able to share some general pointers, just to give me some rough ideas about what sounds good and what might end me back up in the hospital again.

My weight has been rather crazy these past few weeks, and certainly not any better since I've gotten home. I'm afraid that I've been a bad girl when it comes to water intake, and my food choices have been... loose. Since I haven't been able to be upright all that easily, my mom came up to help out. She cooked most of our meals, with the occasional fast food run to fill in the gaps. I will not pout and whine about the extra flub on my behind, because I really did enjoy having biscuits and gravy for breakfast, and potato salad with dinner. I don't even know how to make potato salad on my own, so that was a great treat. Now I have to pay the price for it, through a few weeks of leaner fare.

Getting my diet under control will be a little easier these days, because I won't be cooking or in the kitchen quite so much. Things have gone crazy over here, and now my sister and nephew are no longer living with us. The quiet in the house is welcome, but not. I don't know if that makes any sense or not. I always enjoy quiet time, but particularly while I'm missing my nephew so badly, the silence is deafening to the point of being painful. The only good thing that I have going for me is that I don't want to eat my sadness.

Anyway, my exercise right now consists of trying to do small household chores and taking short walks down the block. No matter how sore I am, I'm supposed to get up every 2 hours and walk, so I've been going down to see my neighbor every day. "Bob" lives down the block, and he doesn't walk around all that much either. He has bad legs, and he sits out on the porch for much of the afternoon. He started calling out to me as I shuffled down the sidewalk, and so I began sitting on his steps and talking with him for a while each day. We had talked before, but not with as much regularity. Now, we chat about tomatoes, 1940's coal mines, hunting, and the benefits of pickled foods. *laughs* He cracks me up, because I'm not sure that he ever remembers my name. He talks with his daughter on the phone frequently, and he always refers to me as "the lady on the corner", which I get a chuckle out of. It makes me sound like a hooker, and not just his friendly neighbor. Heehee.... Really, ya gotta just love cranky old guys for company. I feel like I'm living in the movie, "Grumpy Old Men."

I'll probably be on here much more frequently now. I guess the main reason is that I don't have anyone else to talk with about health/fitness things anymore. Then, there is that thing with the house being so quiet. Since I'm not well enough to do heavy housework yet, I'm going to have a lot of time on my hands, and boredom issues. I've started crocheting a baby blanket for my other neighbor, since her daughter just brought her new baby home this week. That should help keep me busy for a few days. Maybe by the time I get done with the blanket, I will have thought of other ways to keep myself occupied, so my brain doesn't turn to mush- and I don't end up eating us out of house and home because of boredom. That was a lovely run-on sentence, wasn't it? lol

3 comments:

Brooke said...

I've been wondering about you. I'm so glad to hear that your surgery went well and you are recovering. You hang in there - stay positive and educate yourself on what you can and can't do - you'll be back at it before we know it!!

Bre said...

Glad to hear you are on the mend!

Ida said...

I've missed you, and am glad you are back. I will be praying for a quick recovery for you. Good luck on the exercise, don't try to do too much too soon, though. It would be a bummer to split that incision open. YIKES!