Current Happenings

Monday, October 12, 2009

Stepping Into Something New

I decided to join in on a step aerobics class this morning. I didn't know that the usual instructor was gone, but I found that out when the wonderful older lady behind me made mention of it- and said that the current instructor was much harder. Not having anything to compare her to, I'll just have to take my lovely neighbor's word on it.

I felt pretty stupid today. It's been 11 years and many more pounds since I last enjoyed step aerobics. I found out today that that really makes a difference. Step kicked my arse. It kicked it all over the place. Not only that, but my balance sucks... and I obviously can't follow simple instructions. *laughs* Of course, I remember now that the first few classes "back in the day" were pretty rough, but once I got to know my instructor's calls and general sequences, I just flew through it all with a sense of invigoration. I was closer to exhaustion this time around, not invigoration.

After Step, I hit the free weights for a little bit, working on my upper body. My knees were already tired mush, so I worked my arms a while before heading over for the bench press. I love the bench press. It is so much nicer than sitting at that press machine. I was so tired though, I only got two sets in before I completely turned into quivering gelatinous goo.

It's a good thing that my car knows where it lives. I kind of felt like I was on autopilot on the way home, but I started to feel a mite better after having a sandwich. I had eaten a bowl of oatmeal with my daughter, at 7:30 this morning. Then, I had a light "Muscle Milk" protein bar while sitting in the car at 9 o'clock. I hadn't had one of those before, and let me just say that it is a completely safe food for me. I will never binge eat on those. *gag* It's covered in chocolate, but my mouth couldn't tell. It also takes five minutes to chew one bite. I guess that is good for making one little bar seem like more, but... wow. I'll stick to my Special K protein bars to help me survive exercising.

0 comments: